What are UV Rays?
- The sun’s UV radiation is the major cause of premature aging, eye damage, sunburn and skin damage which can lead to skin cancers.
- UVA penetrates into the skin more deeply than UVB, and plays a major role in skin aging and wrinkling.
- UVB results in sunburn and plays a major role in the development of skin cancers.
Therefore, using a broad spectrum sunscreen that protects from both UVA and UVB rays is crucial.
SPF 30+ vs SPF 50+
- SPF 50+ provides only slightly more protection from UVB rays that SPF 30+ (96.7 vs 98) as research has indicated from the cancer council.
- Therefore, is it important that sunscreen is applied liberally, every 1-2 hours, especially if you have been swimming, sweating or have towel dried your body.
Why sunscreen may not work?
- The application of sunscreen is applied unevenly, therefore resulting in missing an area of skin.
- Not applying enough sunscreen to our body, including our face.
- Not reapplying the sunscreen frequently enough.
- Not replying sunscreen after swimming, towel drying or excessive sweating.
- Relying only on sunscreen for sun protection and not wearing sunglasses, hat and clothing and avoiding prolonged sun exposure.
- Not using a broad spectrum sunscreen that protects from both UVA and UVB rays.
- Spending long periods of time in the sun.
Complete Sun Safety Regime
Eco Tans all natural coconut sunscreen will create a physical barrier on your skin to help protect from the damaging rays of the sun. Apply a liberal amount of sunscreen over your entire body and face at least 30 minutes prior to sun exposure.
No sunscreen in the world provides 100% protection from the sun – it is just one step in your sun safety regime. Remember,
- Do not expose your skin to the sun for extended periods of time.
- Always find shade where possible.
- Ensure you are wearing protective clothing such as sunglasses, hat and clothing which covers your skin.
- All sunscreens must be applied liberally and reapplied every 1-2 hours especially if you have been swimming, sweating or have towel dried your body.